Wednesday 23 April 2014

.: DIY - Closet Mirror :.

So my parents recently gave me their master bedroom (my mom thinks it's too loud and sleeps in my sister's room, my dad sleeps in the basement. They don't sleep together, they think each other is too loud) as my new bedroom. Since this hardly ever happens, I decided to use this opportunity to redecorate a new room. Since I'm almost 20 (In June), I wanted to upgrade everything I have into a more mature and minimalist style. (Yes, I've been on Tumblr/ Pinterest a lot) Instead of buying all new furniture, I decided to use my old ones and repurpose them. My first furniture (If you can call it that) is my closet mirror. In my old room, the mirror was behind the closet door and is hidden by the door. but my new closet has two sliding doors so my mirror has to be displayed outside for people to see.


Things you'll need:
- a mirror
 - paint (mine are acrylic)
- paintbrush
- rubbing alcohol (optional, used to wipe your mirror with)
- newspaper (to line your mirror with so that you don't get paint everywhere)
- modge podge (optional, if you want it to have a nice shine to it)


This mirror was purchased many years ago from IKEA and its seen better days. So i decided to give it a fresh coat of paint. The paint I chose is this mint/torquiose crafting paint from Micheals. I pretty much painted two to three coats and painted the frame over with Modge Podge. (This step was optional, but I didn't want my paint to chip so I decided to seal it)

So that's pretty much it for this easy tutorial! I think it turned out rather nice actually. See you guys soon!


Steps:
1. Tape around edges of mirror with scrap paper/ newspaper
2. Clean mirror with rubbing alcohol (Optional)
3. Paint mirror, let dry then paint another coat
4. Seal it up with Modge Podge (Optional)
5. VOILA! you're done! Hang it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment